Wyandot Indian Mill

Hours: 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM


Other Days & Times by Appointment

Open May - October

Wyandot Indian Mill

7417 County Road 47

Upper Sandusky, Ohio 43351

(419) 294-4022

Indian Mill

Just northwest of Upper Sandusky, along the scenic Sandusky River, is the Wyandot Indian Mill.  Built in 1861, the mill is the nation's first educational museum of milling in its original structure.  The Mill finally ceased operation in 1941 and was later transferred to the Ohio History Connection.  The Mill was cleaned, restored, and formally opened to the public in 1968.


The three-story structure, built with original materials, replaced the saw mill (1819) and the original one-story grist mill (1820) which the United States Government built to reward the loyalty of local Wyandotte Indians during the War of 1812.  Many exhibits are placed around the original mill machinery.  It was operated by Leffel Turbines and the old stone burrs and bolting chests are still visible.  The restored miller's office displays historic artifacts related to the history of milling in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

© 2016 Wyandot County Visitors' Bureau proudly created with Wix.com

Call us:

(419) 294-3556

Find us: 

108 E. Wyandot Avenue, Upper Sandusky, OH 43351